Old South Pittsburg Hospital
The Old South Pittsburg Hospital is considered by many to be one of the most haunted locations in Tennessee.
Two of the most distinctive geological characteristics about the property is that there is a natural based spring that runs underneath the hospital and runs into a still existent well from a former plantation. It also flows directly into the Northwest region of the Tennessee River. It is because of this natural spring that many individuals throughout history were attracted to the area. The second is that the hospital today sits on solid Limestone that the natural spring runs underneath. It is believed that the well that has running water acts like a natural battery in combination with the Limestone to these spirits, and gives them energy to manifest and interact with investigators.
In 1920’s there was a large plantation that existed on the property. Unfortunately, there was a large fire and the entire plantation burned to the ground. Sadly, 7 children lost their lives in this fire. In its earliest days, the City of South Pittsburg was referred to as “Pittsburg Landing”. During the Civil War a ferry landing located approximately one eighth of a mile from the hospital’s grounds transported soldiers from the North and the South to the region so that they could make their way to the popular battlefield known as the “Chickamauga”. It is also where the battle of Shiloh occurred. It has been said that this was the bloodiest battles in the Civil War up until that date.
Back in the year of 1778, a Cherokee tribe identified as the “Chiaha” used the land where the haunted hospital now stands for living and engaging in day to day activities that enhanced their survival. Examples of these activities included growing extravagant orchards, hunting for various types of animals native to the region and fishing. During the Civil War era, the tribe permitted the soldiers from the North to use a section of land that is now under the Old South Pittsburg Hospital to store various supplies such as artillery and encampments. They found safety against the foothills behind the Hospital. Unfortunately, the Confederate soldiers eventually invaded the region during the Civil War and launched assaults on the Union Soldiers. As a result, many Union members, individuals of the tribe and even Indians in the Cherokee Tribe died and the Confederate Soldiers emerged victorious. Many believe that these deaths contribute to the land’s reputation as being one of the most haunted places in Tennessee.
By the end of the hot summer of 1863, the Union Soldiers successfully reclaimed the land until the end of the Civil War. Despite this, many individuals residing in the community experienced numerous hardships because of the fact that many soldiers took the livestock that they raised, the foods that they stored, items that could be used for first aid purposes and other types of necessities. It was then that the residents realized that they could experience a high level of fortune by selling the various types of minerals native to the region as well as the limestone heavily present in the geography of the area. Not too long after experiencing success in this endeavor, the St. Louis – Nashville railway came to the region and offered more opportunities for the region. The town was finally founded in 1873, and the name was changed to South Pittsburg.
South Pittsburg Hospital opened its doors in 1959, and quietly closed in 1998 making way to a larger facility in Jasper, TN. The hospital has 3 floors and many wings. Many say it had a very dark history and disturbing history. Some believe the spirits of many generations still walk the hallways looking for someone or something from the past. Many of these lost souls are intelligent spirits and will interact with visitors often. Information provided is from